Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Swatch: Julep Jill

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

The polish in this post was purchased by me. All opinions are my own.

Polish makers have been jumping aboard the textured polish train for the past several months, and Julep is the latest. They call the finish "sea salt" and released a Mystery Box containing one of three new polishes. I generally like textured polishes, so I grabbed a box and ended up with Jill.


Julep Jill. Two coats, no top coat.
  
Jill is a muted brown, and unlike many of the textured polishes I've seen, has no shimmer or glitter. So it's more toned-down and work-appropriate (note: I'm a grad student and have never had a real grown-up job).

Now, when I swatched this on my swatch wheel, the texture came out perfectly consistent and fine-grained, but when I put it on my nail, I got a lot of "bald" patches--places with no texture. My pinky finger there is the most egregious. I wondered if it might be because I was wearing a base coat (NailTek II), even though I've never before had a problem with textured polishes over a base coat.

So, like a good scientist, I did an experiment: I removed the polish from my index finger and repainted it with no base coat. (It's shown in both these pics.) I do think the texture came out finer and more consistent on that finger, although not perfect. So I would recommend not using a base coat.



The texture is very similar to the Zoya Pixie Dust polishes--you can feel some grittiness if you rub a nail with your finger, but it isn't rough or sharp and won't snag on things.

As for the formula, it was fine as long as I used thin coats. The difficulty with Julep's brushes is that they're longer than normal, so a lot of polish collects along them and drips down, and you have to keep wiping them off to prevent globs. But I really didn't have a lot of trouble. Like all textured polishes I've tried, this dried fast. I did get some chips a few hours later when I was washing dishes and cooking.

The Mystery Box containing the sea salt polishes is no longer for sale, and the polishes aren't up on the Julep site, so I guess they're waiting a bit before releasing them. If you're at all interested in Julep products, I do recommend getting a Maven membership, since everything is discounted and there are always some Maven-only specials. That said, I think even the regular Maven price ($11.20) is too high for a bottle of polish, since they're only 8 ml. So I always buy stuff from them in sets or discounted.

What do you think of Jill?

The polish in this post was purchased by me. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment