Saturday, August 10, 2013

I made food: butterscotch cookies

Yesterday afternoon, my husband and I were sitting around feeling too tired to work anymore. It was that time of day when your blood sugar drops and you just feel like either eating or taking a nap. "I wish we had cookies," said Hubby. "Hey, you should make cookies."

He was basically joking, because he thought I'd never agree to it, but I surprised him by grabbing How to Cook Everything and turning to the cookie section. The first recipe there was for basic butter cookies, and I suddenly realized, hey, I have all these ingredients! One of the variations listed is for butterscotch cookies--all you have to do is use brown sugar instead of white. Less than an hour later we were eating cookies!

(That's a 100% true story, folks.)

 The recipe is very simple: you cream together a stick of butter and 2/3 cup brown sugar, then beat in an egg and 1 tsp. vanilla. In another bowl you mix 2 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder and a pinch of salt, then mix in half the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Add 1/4 cup milk, beat the batter a little more, then mix in the rest of the dry ingredients. (Don't beat too much!) Put little mounds of the batter onto some baking sheets and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or so. Ta-da! Cookies! (Good thing they cool quickly too, because we were getting pretty hungry.)

The cookies are soft, buttery and have an almost scone-like texture. They're also not overly sweet (I've noticed this with other dessert recipes in this cookbook). If you like sweeter cookies, you could increase the amount of sugar, or just drizzle some honey over them like I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment